Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Oscar Watch

Typically, I am lucky if I see one movie that has been nominated for best picture at the Academy Awards. However, this year I have been fortunate enough to see four out of the five nominated for the Best picture Oscar. I haven't seen Atonement...

Here are my choices for best picture:

4. No Country for Old Men - Last but not least. Tommy Lee Jones is great in this film. However, the performance by Javier Bardem (who should get the best supporting actor award) is amazing as his performance as an evil person is unequaled in recent memory.

3. Michael Clayton - A poignant story of how difficult it can be to live ethically in corporate America.

2. There will be Blood - A marvelous performance by Daniel Day Lewis (I think he should win the best actor award) and a great message on how dangerous it is to sell your soul for black gold (oil) or anything else. The movie does a good job of portraying the likely results of putting financial interests above family and friends.

1. JUNO - I loved this film! It is hard to find a comedy that has substance to it. Juno does a good job of approaching topics people don't like to talk about, such as teenage pregnancy, abortion, and adoption. However, I don't know if Juno will get the Oscar because it is an independent film.

1 comment:

runningtwig said...

Tara!!! Call me or email me!!!! We need to catch up!